Trekking in Wheat’s Railroad by MaurÍCio Ariza

This story was one of the finalists of the Camper Contest Writer.
She ended the period of votalão popular with 143 vote
Site History: Between Guaporé and Muçum/RS
Date of story: 22 to 24 February 2013
Submitted by: Maurício Ariza
For those not familiar, the railroad of wheat is one of the most popular trekking destinations in Rio Grande do Sul. The crossing is usually made between the towns of Muçum and Guaporé, a route on the tracks of the train with just under 50 km, across 22 tunnels and 20 rail viaducts, including the V13, the highest rail viaduct of Latin America, with 143 metres high. But anyway, let’s get down to brass tacks. The journey has begun of underdog. The original group, which would be 10 people, at the last minute ended in two. The bus to Guaporé leave Porto Alegre road at 18:30, and I got there about 18:27, my colleague was nervous already. We arrived at our destination after 3 hours of travel. The city was bigger than I imagined. We spent the night in a hotel, guarded by a Mr nice enough, I had to teach using the card machine haha. In the morning, early, buy some recent supplies and out toward the track.
That would be (at least for me!) the first trekking from greater distance. We planned the crossing in 3 days, to go with ease.First day’s walk, total excitement. The exhilaration of crossing the first tunnel was unique. Within them, the pitch is complete, it is difficult without a flashlight.
On the first day already face two major challenges of the crossing. The first of these, the viaduct of the Mule, with 360 meters long, being that it has no bottom or side walls, walk only on the sleepers in a height of 98 metres. Total adrenaline, dizziness. Impossible not to remember that classic of the afternoon session, “count me in”, in the scene the boys crossing an overpass in this style. The second, a tunnel approximately 2 km long. The air gets to be heavy. It took us 40 minutes to get through it, it was a pleasure to see the sunlight again at the end.In his output, we set up camp and bathed in a stream. That morning, we saw the first train, with about 100 wagons.
The second day was pulled over. That’s inexperience played a role. Excess equipment, a lot of excess food. Weight 65 kg, and had a full load of 20 kg or more recommended. Walking on the tracks is tiring, the numb cadenciam short steps, and gravel grinds the musculature. The Sun was very strong that day, chastising the body. There we had the highlight of the trip.Around noon, we were about to cross the last tunnel before the V13. It was the first time we crossed by people, who were going to bathe in waterfalls. We were pretty quiet, until we heard a loud noise. We stopped. It would be the train? The hairs bristle on the arm. I bent down and put his hand on the sleepers. I felt a vibration. The noise was louder. When I raised my eyes, I was beginning to see a light beacon in the curve of the tunnel. I turned to my buddy and just screamed “run!”. Forget the pain, the weight of the outdoor backpacks, the dark, and out desperate until one of the shelters. Cameras in hand, and to our surprise, we saw two citizens on their bikes, making the biggest noise tunnel.In good gauchês people’s, those two deserved a tunda.Recovered from the fright, we resume the path. This stretch after the V13 was most exposed to the Sun. The water was going over, and anything we find other sources on the way. We began to be apprehensive. The afternoon went by, and the water running out. After 1 hour walk with dry canteens, the concern was more prominent. We couldn’t find any more road to leave the Rails. We looked down, and enxergávamos the Guaporé River sumptuous running near the foot of the Hill sites.Missing about 8 km just to the end. The throats dry already, the body extremely tired, we decided to make a drastic decision. We got the machete in the bag and we went opening track in the Woods in order to down the Hill. After about 20 minutes of endeavor, we achieved a reed bed. The leaves of the cane burning feet and cut off the arms and legs. It was an endless crossing, and a unique pleasure when we arrived at the side of the road. A gentleman in front of a house in looked like impossible to describe. I can only imagine the scene that he saw and start laughing alone. He gave us cold water, a relief. We set up camp with the last rays of Sun, and entered the river. I think we’re almost 1 hour in water, relaxing. I passed out on the bed that night. Early on, we raise and retake camp trip. We can’t climb the tracks, we followed the dirt road, which besides being a longer path, was rich in climbs and descents. It was very tiring.Finally we get to drink a soda, Muçum glue (no merchandising haha) stupidly cold, and we were waiting for the bus to Porto Alegre. Tired, relieved, but we felt challenged to go back and finish the journey on the Rails. The railway is a unique experience. Who want to make the crossing, worth, and don’t forget to invite me!
Check out the other stories the Writer Camper Contest Finalists:
– Half ball on feijoada, a dressing on the side!, by Ravi Ventorini de Morais
– Rumbo General Sur, by Thiago Fernandes de Oliveira