Population: 2,937,979 thousand people (2011)
Area: 137732.0 sq. km
According to citypopulationreview.com, Arkansas is located in the south of the United States of America. Its capital is the city of Little Rock – the only major settlement. The southern borders of Arkansas are near Louisiana, the eastern borders are with the Mississippi and Tennessee, and the northern borders are with Missouri. To the west, the state’s lands are bordered by Oklahoma and Texas. The local winters are mild with an abundance of snow, and the summers are sultry and hot with a maximum temperature of +40 degrees Celsius. The climate is moderately humid, subtropical. The Washita Mountains and the elevated rolling plateau occupy the northern territory of Arkansas. The lowland of the Mississippi River lies on its eastern side.
The first human settlements in the state were 12 thousand years BC, as evidenced by numerous finds discovered during archaeological excavations. The ancient Indians of Arkansas lived in separate families, mainly engaged in hunting and fishing. Tribal sites found in the northeast of the state are ancient sites of human settlement in the United States.
Three thousand years ago, the main occupation of the Indians was agriculture, gardening and crafts. It was in those days that the pottery art of the ancient inhabitants of these places was born. In the Arkansas River region, archaeological excavations in the Toltec Hills have unearthed a large number of unique ancient finds. According to one version, the hills were of artificial origin and were built for religious ceremonies.
In 1541, members of the expedition of Hernando de Soto first explored the territory of modern Arkansas. The first settlers were the French, whose ranks were eventually replenished by people from England and Germany. The lands of Arkansas were the subject of dispute between France and Spain during the 16th to 19th centuries. In the summer of 1836, Arkansas became the 25th state of the young state.
Arkansas has a successful production of soybeans, rice, broiler chickens, and cotton. The food industry is actively developing, the production of spare parts for cars and electrical equipment has been launched. Bauxite is actively mined.
Population: 193.524 thousand people (2010)
Area: 302.5 sq. km
City status since: 1831
Time zone: UTC-6, summer UTC-5
Altitude: 102 m
The capital and largest city of Arkansas is Little Rock. It is located on the south bank of the Arkansas River. Opposite, on the north bank of the river, lies North Little Rock, which is part of the state capital agglomeration. See Arkansas counties.
The indigenous people of this area were first disturbed in 1541 by the expedition of Hernando de Soto. However, only in 1722 did the “whites” arrive here to develop the land. The Frenchman de la Arpe decided to establish a trading post and called the area “small rock”, or Little Rock. Only in 1821 a permanent settlement appears, which is rapidly developing due to the status of the capital and the development of a bauxite deposit nearby.
Little Rock is one of the significant centers of the struggle of the black population for civil rights. In addition, a famous general, a participant in two World Wars, Douglas MacArthur, is a native of the city.
The sights of Little Rock are represented by old administrative buildings, such as the Arkansas Capitol building (a small copy of the Capitol in Washington ), the post office building and the courthouse. It is also worth highlighting the only zoo in the state, several museums and art salons, a theater, and the Bill Clinton Library.
Population: 39.467 thousand people (2008)
Area: 85.5 sq. km
Time zone: UTC-6, summer UTC-5
Altitude: 182 m
The city of Hot Springs is located in Garland County. Not far from its outskirts, the possessions of the national park of the same name begin. It occupies a small area of land and is the smallest natural object in the country in terms of area. The city was named after him. The park is famous for its numerous hot underground springs, of which there are more than four dozen. They are located within the western slope of Hot Springs Mountain. Not far from the geothermal sources is the historical center of the city.
Hot Springs is famous for its numerous hospitals. At one time, an artificial canal was built in the city, through which water from the springs entered the hospitals. During the development of the local territories by Europeans, they discovered several Indian buildings and log cabins near the thermal springs. The healing qualities of the water were well known to the indigenous population, who used it for treatment. Since 1832, the territory where the city and its environs are now located received the status of a reserve.