Garden of Peace between Countries in Salt Lake City (Salt Lake City, USA): detailed description, address and photo. Opportunities for sports and recreation, infrastructure, cafes and restaurants in the park. Reviews of tourists.
This botanical garden is located within Jordan Park. It was founded in 1939, but work on its creation was interrupted by the Second World War and continued only in 1947. The garden was opened to the public in 1952. Since then, tens of thousands of travelers from all over the world have visited here, including guests from cities sister cities of Salt Lake City. The garden was organized by and is maintained by the Salt Lake Women’s Council. See citypopulationreview for state facts, symbols and history of North Carolina.
Each national group living in Utah received their own plot in this garden, where they could create a garden with plants and structures typical of their homeland, as well as statues of peace leaders. Thus, to date, almost 30 small gardens have gathered in the Garden of Peace, which makes walking through it extremely pleasant.
The total territory of the garden has about 11 acres on the banks of the Jordan River.
In the Garden of Peace, a new garden was opened every year until 28 countries were represented here, and the place ran out.
The first site in the Garden of Peace was, oddly enough, the US site. And this section is the largest in area of the sections of the Americas, Europe, Africa and Asia. The second occupied area was the garden of Japan. Further, in the Garden of Peace, a new garden was opened every year, until 28 countries were represented here, and the place ran out.
Once the national group had finished creating their own garden, the design had to be approved by the director of the city’s park service. Then the garden was dedicated and solemnly handed over to the city, which after that took care of caring for it.
In fact, the word “garden” to designate a section of each country is too strong. In truth, this is more of a medium-sized flower bed. Nevertheless, on the French section there is a miniature Eiffel Tower and a bench exactly like in the Luxembourg Gardens; in the Indian one, a bronze bust of Mahatma Gandhi; in Irish, a large Celtic cross.
The Russian Garden was opened in 1987, and in 1991 the Cradle of the World statue was erected in honor of Mr. Lowell Turner, who did much to improve Soviet-American relations.
Every year on the third Sunday of September, a festival is held in the garden, dedicated to him. The festival starts at noon and lasts until 5 pm. Visiting it is free.
The Red Bute Garden and Arboretum of the University of Utah, located at the foot of the Wasatch Mountains, competes with the Garden of Peace between countries. Its area is 0.4 sq. km, a stream flows through the territory of the garden, forming a picturesque reservoir, and there are many trails for hiking. In the summer, popular concerts are held here, as well as all kinds of flower, sculpture and other exhibitions.
Address: Salt Lake City, 1060 S 900 W.
The garden is located in Jordan Park and on the banks of the river, at West Ninth and South Tenth Streets.
Opening hours: The garden is open from dusk to dawn from May 1st to September 30th.
Magdalen Cathedral in Salt Lake City
Magdalen Cathedral in Salt Lake City (USA) – description, history, location. Exact address and website. Reviews of tourists, photos and videos.
This Roman Catholic church was built in the city in 1909 and looks like it is in the heart of France, not in the desert of Utah. The central façade between two symmetrical towers is especially beautiful: on it you can see a large rose window with a multi-colored stained-glass window.
The architects of the project were Karl Neuhausen and Bernard Mecklenburg. The exterior of the church can be described as predominantly neo-Romanesque, but the interior is more Neo-Gothic. The construction of this beautiful cathedral took nine years.
The interior decoration of the temple was created under the direction of Joseph Glass, the second Bishop of Salt Lake. He hired one of the area’s leading architects, Theodor Kams, who drew heavily on the classic Spanish Gothic and decorated the walls of the church with colorful paintings and ornaments.
It hosts organ concerts (Sunday evenings at 20:00, admission is free), and once a year there is a Magdalen festival with a series of choral performances.
In the 1970s The church was restored from the outside, and in the 1990s. – from within. Today, from the outside, the cathedral looks almost the same as it was in 1909, with the exception of a tympanum that appeared above the main entrance. The interior has changed more significantly, but thin columns supporting swept-arched vaults, multi-colored wall and ceiling paintings, bright stained-glass windows and a richly decorated altar can still be admired today.
In 1920-1925. The composer Amedee Tremblay served as organist in the church.
Currently, a choral singing school operates at the current Magdalen Church, and the church itself has become, among other things, a concert venue. It hosts organ concerts (Sunday evenings at 20:00, admission is free), and once a year there is a Magdalen festival with a series of choral performances.
Address: South Temple, 331.