La Luz, New Mexico is a small town located in the heart of the Sacramento Mountains. The population of La Luz is estimated at around 400 people, making it a very small and tight-knit community. Geographically, La Luz lies in Otero County and is surrounded by breathtaking landscapes and lush vegetation, making it an ideal spot for outdoor activities such as hiking and camping. The climate in La Luz is typically warm and dry with temperatures reaching up to 90 degrees Fahrenheit during the summer months and dropping to below freezing during the winter months. See topbbacolleges for information about Bernalillo County, New Mexico.
The history of La Luz dates back to 1884 when it was founded by a group of settlers from Texas who were looking for a new home after traveling west from their original settlement. Since then, the town has been home to several generations of locals who have grown up in the area and continue to call it home today.
Politically, La Luz is part of New Mexico’s 3rd Congressional District which has been represented by Xochitl Torres Small since 2019. In terms of economy, La Luz relies heavily on tourism as well as local farming which provides jobs for many residents in the area.
In terms of schools, La Luz Elementary School serves students from Pre-K through 8th grade while Alamogordo High School serves students from 9th through 12th grade. The elementary school offers a variety of extracurricular activities such as sports teams, music classes, art classes, and more while Alamogordo High School offers advanced placement classes as well as college level classes that can be taken for college credit.
Finally, some landmarks that are popular among visitors include Oliver Lee Memorial State Park which offers hiking trails along with some stunning views; White Sands National Monument which features one of the world’s largest gypsum dune fields; and Carrizozo Malpais National Monument which features lava fields formed millions of years ago.
Males: 782 (48.4%), Females: 833 (51.6%)
Zip code: 88337
Median resident age: 38.9 years
Median household income: $28,625
Median house value: $92,000
Races in La Luz:
- White Non-Hispanic (64.8%)
- Hispanic (31.7%)
- Other race (10.4%)
- American Indian (2.7%)
- Two or more races (2.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (11.5%), United States (11.2%), Irish (7.4%), French (4.2%), English (3.4%), Welsh (2.3%).
Elevation: 4744 feet
Land area: 10.7 square miles
La Luz, New Mexico is a small, rural town located in Otero County. The population of La Luz is approximately 1,800 people and the town is known for its close-knit community. The median household income for the area is $38,000 and the median home value is around $90,000. The cost of living in La Luz is quite affordable compared to other parts of New Mexico and the United States. Prices for groceries are lower than most other places in the state, with a gallon of milk costing around $2.50 and a loaf of bread costing around $1.50. The median rent price for a two-bedroom apartment in La Luz is approximately $650 per month while utilities are relatively inexpensive as well. Overall, La Luz offers an affordable place to live with low taxes and low cost of living expenses that make it an attractive option for people looking to settle down in a rural area with a tight-knit community.
For population 25 years and over in La Luz
- High school or higher: 89.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 18.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.3%
- Unemployed: 7.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in La Luz CDP
- Never married: 19.0%
- Now married: 57.2%
- Separated: 3.5%
- Widowed: 6.9%
- Divorced: 13.4%
1.7% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near La Luz:
- GERALD CHAMPION REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTE (about 10 miles; ALAMOGORDO, NM)
- PHS INDIAN HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; MESCALERO, NM)
- LINCOLN COUNTY MEDICAL CENTER (about 33 miles; RUIDOSO, NM)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to La Luz:
- HOLLOMAN AFB (about 14 miles; ALAMOGORDO, NM; Abbreviation: HMN)
- SIERRA BLANCA REGIONAL (about 44 miles; RUIDOSO, NM; Abbreviation: SRR)
- LAS CRUCES INTERNATIONAL (about 83 miles; LAS CRUCES, NM; Abbreviation: LRU)
Other public-use airports nearest to La Luz:
- ALAMOGORDO-WHITE SANDS REGIONAL (about 11 miles; ALAMOGORDO, NM; Abbreviation: ALM)
- CARRIZOZO MUNI (about 46 miles; CARRIZOZO, NM; Abbreviation: Q37)
- EL PASO INTL (about 86 miles; EL PASO, TX; Abbreviation: ELP)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to La Luz:
- NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 74 miles; LAS CRUCES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 12,562)
- NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY-DONA ANA (about 74 miles; LAS CRUCES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,380)
- EL PASO COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 90 miles; EL PASO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 11,127)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT EL PASO (about 92 miles; EL PASO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 12,071)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO-MAIN CAMPUS (about 151 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 18,780)
- ALBUQUERQUE TECHNICAL VOCATIONAL INSTITUTE (about 152 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 9,188)
- UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX-ALBUQUERQUE NM CAMPUS (about 156 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 3,261)
Public primary/middle school in La Luz:
- LA LUZ ELEM (Students: 305; Location: 99 ALAMO; Grades: KG – 05)