National University of San Juan (UNSJ). Public educational institution of Argentina with headquarters in the city of San Juan. It also has a headquarters in San José de Jáchal. It was organized from the division of the National University of Cuyo, from which it inherited the Faculty of Engineering, Exact Physical and Natural Sciences, located in San Juan since 1947, also absorbing the National Institute of Secondary Teachers of San Juan and the University Provincial Domingo Faustino Sarmiento.
In 1968, with the “Plan for the Creation of New Universities”, known as the “Taquini Plan”. A national program designed by the physician and researcher Alberto C. Taquini, who served as Dean of the Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry at the University of Buenos Airesand that he was secretary of the National Council of Science and Technology (CONACYT), which depended on the Ministry of Culture and Education, whose purpose was to reform higher education, since the main national universities of the time, such as those of Buenos Aires, Córdoba, La Plata, Litoral, Tucumán and Cuyo, were collapsed due to the large number of students they concentrated and that resulted from the large numbers of young people who, from the different provinces, traveled to carry out their university studies.
The National University of San Juan -UNSJ- had in the figure of Engineer Julio Rodolfo Millán its first Normalizing Rector, starting in March 1974, but who had already been appointed Organizing Delegate in June 1973 and from that function he had the task of structuring this new institution.
The integration of all these units ended some time later, since the “… incorporation of the Domingo Faustino Sarmiento Provincial University required a more complex procedure, linked to the reclassification of its teaching and non-teaching staff in the new university structure. This procedure concluded on October 10, 1973, when in a Public Act and in the presence of the Governor of the Province Prof. Eloy P. Camus and the Minister of Culture and Education of the Nation Dr. Jorge Taiana, this Provincial University was incorporated into the structure of the National University of San Juan
Faculties and headquarters
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Exact, Physical and Natural Sciences
- Faculty of Philosophy, Humanities and Arts
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Faculty of Architecture, Urbanism and Design
- Rivadavia Headquarters: Malvinas Islands University Center (CUIM), complex of the Faculty of Architecture, Urbanism and Design, Faculty of Social Sciences and Faculty of Exact, Physical and Natural Sciences.
- Headquarters: Faculty of Engineering.
- Capital Headquarters: Faculty of Philosophy, Humanities and Arts.
- San José de Jáchal Headquarters: Dependent on the Faculty of Exact, Physical and Natural Sciences.