Waterville, New York is a small but vibrant town located in Oneida County. It has a population of around 4,000 people and is known for its strong sense of community. The geography of the area is mostly flat with hills to the west and rolling farmlands to the east. The climate is typical of the region with cold winters and mild summers. See harvardshoes for main cities in New York.
Waterville has a rich history dating back to its founding in 1793 by settlers from Connecticut. It was an important stop on the Erie Canal and it was also part of the Underground Railroad during the Civil War. Today, Waterville remains an important economic hub for Oneida County with many businesses located in the downtown area.
The local school system consists of two elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school; all are highly rated and offer various extracurricular activities such as sports teams and clubs. There are also several private schools in the area as well as a community college. Waterville is home to several notable landmarks including Fort Stanwix National Monument, which commemorates Revolutionary War battles fought there; The Smith-McDowell House Museum which showcases 19th century artifacts; and The Waterville Historical Society which preserves local historical documents, photographs, and artifacts related to Waterville’s history.
Population: 1,721. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,682 (-2.3% change)
Males: 767 (44.6%), Females: 954 (55.4%)
Zip code: 13480
Median resident age: 37.8 years
Median household income: $37,562
Median house value: $74,100
Races in Waterville:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.3%)
- Hispanic (0.8%)
- Two or more races (0.5%)
Ancestries: Irish (25.7%), English (20.9%), German (18.1%), Italian (7.9%), Polish (6.4%), French (5.7%).
Land area: 1.3 square miles
Waterville, New York is a small town located in Oneida County. It has a population of about 3,500 people and is known for its rural charm and outdoor activities. The town has several parks and trails that are popular with locals and visitors alike. The cost of living in Waterville is relatively low compared to other cities in the area. Housing costs are generally lower than average, though they have been increasing in recent years. The median home value is around $125,000, making it more affordable than many other towns in the region. Groceries, health care and transportation costs are all comparable to the national average. Residents can enjoy plenty of free or low-cost recreational activities including fishing, hiking, biking and swimming at local lakes and rivers. There are also several golf courses nearby as well as a ski area within an hour’s drive from Waterville.
For population 25 years and over in Waterville
- High school or higher: 86.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 21.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.6%
- Unemployed: 2.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Waterville village
- Never married: 24.6%
- Now married: 52.8%
- Separated: 3.3%
- Widowed: 10.9%
- Divorced: 8.3%
2.2% Foreign born (1.1% North America, 0.6% Asia, 0.3% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +56 (+3.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Waterville:
- COMMUNITY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; HAMILTON, NY)
- ST ELIZABETHS HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; UTICA, NY)
- ST LUKES MEMORIAL HOSPITAL CENTER (about 16 miles; UTICA, NY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Waterville:
- ONEIDA COUNTY (about 14 miles; UTICA, NY; Abbreviation: UCA)
- SYRACUSE HANCOCK INTL (about 52 miles; SYRACUSE, NY; Abbreviation: SYR)
- GREATER BINGHAMTON/EDWIN A LINK FIELD (about 65 miles; BINGHAMTON, NY; Abbreviation: BGM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Waterville:
- HAMILTON MUNICIPAL (about 14 miles; HAMILTON, NY; Abbreviation: H30)
- FRANKFORT-HIGHLAND (about 16 miles; UTICA/FRANKFORT, NY; Abbreviation: 6B4)
- GRIFFISS AIRPARK (about 21 miles; ROME, NY; Abbreviation: RME)
Amtrak stations near Waterville:
- 16 miles: UTICA (321 MAIN ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
- 20 miles: ROME (6599 MARTIN ST.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Waterville:
- COLGATE UNIVERSITY (about 14 miles; HAMILTON, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,792)
- MOHAWK VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE-UTICA BRANCH (about 15 miles; UTICA, NY; Full-time enrollment: 3,768)
- SUNY COLLEGE OF AGRIC AND TECHN AT MORRISVILLE (about 20 miles; MORRISVILLE, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,790)
- HERKIMER COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 29 miles; HERKIMER, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,141)
- SUNY COLLEGE AT ONEONTA (about 39 miles; ONEONTA, NY; Full-time enrollment: 5,333)
- LE MOYNE COLLEGE (about 49 miles; SYRACUSE, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,517)
- SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY (about 54 miles; SYRACUSE, NY; Full-time enrollment: 15,859)
Public primary/middle schools in Waterville:
- WATERVILLE HS (Students: 629; Location: 381 MADISON ST; Grades: 06 – 12)
- MEMORIAL PARK ES (Students: 429; Location: 145 E BACON ST; Grades: PK – 05)
Library in Waterville:
- WATERVILLE PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $83,668; Location: 220 MAIN STREET; 26,166 books; 931 audio materials; 1,821 video materials; 41 serial subscriptions)